Bailey Health Center now offering free STI testing

Student+Government+and+L-RAJE+worked+with+the+college+to+reintroduce+STI+testing.+
Photo by Emma Sylvester for The Lafayette
Student Government and L-RAJE worked with the college to reintroduce STI testing.

Bailey Health Center will now offer free STI testing every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment. Testing is offered for chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV, services that have not been covered by the college since a government-funded program ended last year. 

“We were trying to come up with a solution to make free testing available for students,” Director of Health Services Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein said. “I was very excited that this was back because I think it’s an important element of routine screening for those on campus.”

“In the past, we had a wonderful relationship with a healthcare facility called Novus,” Goldstein said. “Students would come in any time they were here, which was weekly, and they loved it.”

The Lehigh Valley-based health entity catered mostly to those who identify within the LGBTQ+ community. They used funding from a government grant to provide free testing to the college until that money was no longer available. 

According to Goldstein, Student Government Director of Student Services Kelsey Wong ‘25 and Vice President of Advocacy for Lafayette for Reproductive Autonomy, Justice and Empowerment (L-RAJE) Sophie Himmel collaborated with Bailey Health Center last semester to advocate for free testing for students again.

President of L-RAJE Emily Mackin ‘24 said that the students asked Goldstein questions about “what services are offered” and “how [they can] make that more equitable.”

From there, “we met with President Hurd and presented some of the feedback and asked if the college could help us with the resources,” Goldstein said. “This is the college providing support for our students. The money is coming from the college.”

Before the college provided complimentary STI testing, students were directed to St. Luke’s in Easton for the services. Now, students can call the Health Center to schedule appointments. 

“I think it should be part of an annual routine screening, especially important for certain groups depending on one’s risk,” Goldstein said. “[Testing] is not a one size fits all. There are certain groups that are higher risk and others who are lower risk.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC) outlines who should get tested. Students can also check out the L-RAJE posters around campus for additional information. 

Mackin expressed pride in her organization’s work with getting the testing to campus.

“It is important for me to get the promotion out there that these things are happening,” Mackin said.