Women’s tennis drops senior day match to Lehigh

Senior Halle DeNardo waits to return the ball during her match against Lehigh. (Photo courtesy of GoLeopards)

The women’s tennis team began its home schedule this Sunday with a 5-2 loss against Lehigh. Despite the loss, the team celebrated seniors Eleanor Campbell, Halle DeNardo, Melanie Sparhawk and Emma Menkowitz for senior day.

“The atmosphere was great. We had friends and family members of our seniors come out,” Campbell said. “The crowd was loud, especially during doubles. It was a fun competitive atmosphere. It felt great to play in front of all these people.”

“Honestly I can say that this year the team has been so incredibly awesome and I am so grateful to play and be friends with every single girl on the team,” DeNardo added. “The six freshmen who joined the team this year were such a great addition and have only made the team chemistry better as everyone gets along so well and we have a lot of fun together.”

The team only picked up one victory in doubles and two in singles play on Sunday. Campbell picked up a 6-1 doubles win alongside freshman partner Alyssa Perdomo, who also picked up the Leopard’s only non-withdrawal singles win.

Campbell, who transferred here from Charleston a year and a half ago, reminisced on her time as a member of the Lafayette team.

“I love Lafayette. It has given me the best two years,” Campbell said. “I loved my team at Charleston but I love the program and coaches here more. I love my team here as well. I have gotten very fortunate to have great people on both teams.”

Though the matches were close, a couple of bad bounces saw the Mountain Hawks victorious in the doubles point. This gave them momentum going into singles.

“Although we lost, I think we put up a pretty good fight against Lehigh and it felt really good,” DeNardo said. “The atmosphere was amazing as we had a bunch of people come out to support and cheer for our senior day which was super uplifting and heartwarming and I am very grateful for everyone who came out.”

The Leopards, who are still searching for their second match victory since spring break, will now have a one-week break from Patriot League play. They will take on the Marist and St. Joe’s in the lead-up to the final stretch before the Patriot League Championships at the end of April.

In my four years playing for Lafayette women’s tennis, I can without a doubt say that I’ve had the best experience and I am so lucky to have been part of a team that will be so hard to say goodbye to,” DeNardo said. “Lafayette has given me lifelong friendships, an incredible education and a place to have called home for the past four years and I cannot be more thankful.”