Editorial: A call for transparency

In March, the creation of four new academic dean positions was announced to the faculty. Also in March, The Lafayette attempted to cover this significant administrative change, especially given its controversy among the faculty. Due to a lack of communication from those involved, however, we have been unsuccessful in covering this change.

The roles were created to “allow for focused attention and support of individual faculty members, departments, and programs” by having “much of the work of the Dean of the Faculty [to be] be distributed among the four deans,” according to a letter sent via email to faculty by Provost John Meier in March.

Ingrid Furniss, an art history professor, was appointed dean of arts and humanities and remains the interim dean of faculty. Lauren Anderson, who was previously the dean of the engineering division, assumed the role of dean of engineering. Lisa Gabel, a professor of neuroscience, was appointed dean of natural sciences and David Shulman, a sociology professor, was appointed dean of social sciences. All assumed their positions on July 1.

Through the spring semester, summer and start of the fall semester, The Lafayette has continually attempted to schedule interviews with the four newly appointed deans. After continuing to express willingness to meet after the roles had been assumed in July, the deans have been largely uncommunicative. Since the first inquiry to meet in the spring, no formal meeting with any of the deans has been held or scheduled with The Lafayette despite over two dozen attempts by The Lafayette, including virtual and in-person efforts.

The new academic dean structure is a large bureaucratic change that the campus community deserves to be informed about in a timely manner. It is our duty to write about this change, yet we have been hindered in doing so. While we have information about the structure and its operation, we cannot relay this information properly without speaking to those it concerns.

The Lafayette is also aware that the academic deans recently had an interview with the Lafayette communications department regarding their new positions.

The Lafayette, as a student newspaper, works as an independent agent of transparency and communication between the administration and the campus community. We strive to have fruitful, respectful and mutually beneficial relationships with all corners of campus, however, we cannot fulfill our mission without cooperation from both sides.

Moving forward, The Lafayette would appreciate increased transparency and communication from members of the administration so we can keep the campus rightfully informed of decisions that affect us all.