‘Barbie’ IMAX re-release is truly ‘sublime’

“Barbie” was just as good the second time around in theaters. (Photo courtesy of The Movie Database)

This past weekend, Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” (2023) was re-released into theaters exclusively in IMAX with never-before-seen post-credit footage. Because I had only seen it once, I thought a second viewing would be helpful to understand the film entirely. I am so happy I decided to see it again.

Similar to what I mentioned in my column about what I saw this summer, “Barbie” is laugh-out-loud funny with an outstanding emotional core throughout the film, anchored by superb performances.

The casting of “Barbie” is some of the best in any film that came out this year and possibly the past decade. Margot Robbie as “Stereotypical Barbie” is outstanding. She’s hilarious when needed but also completely sells the dramatic scenes. Some of my favorite scenes of the entire film are when Barbie pauses and steps back from the chaotic world around her and just takes in all the sights and sounds of the world. The bus station scene is an excellent example of great directing and acting, and it’s astonishing that the studio wanted to cut the scene from the movie. We have Gerwig to thank for fighting against them.

While it may be Robbie’s movie, Ryan Gosling as “Beach” Ken is one of the best supporting roles I have ever seen in a film. Gosling’s comedic timing is perfect, always saying the best line at the ideal moment. Gosling brings life and energy to what could’ve been a humiliating character. The same can be said about the entire film. Every cast member and crew member put the right amount of love and effort into the making of “Barbie,” so much so that they turned into something special. Other notable performances include Simu Liu, who continues his rise after killing it in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” (2021), Michael Cera and America Ferrera. 

The sets built for Barbieland in the film are also genuinely impressive and may win the Oscar for best set design. Seeing the movie in IMAX allowed the pink to pop off the screen. Cinematographer Rodrigo Pietro, whom I love for his work on “Silence” (2016) and “Argo” (2012), perfectly lights and captures every object in the frame. The Ken beach fight scene towards the end of the film is expertly choreographed and shot, and it really impressed me watching it on a large screen. The post-credit footage was a great addition to this viewing, with sincere clips of the cast and crew interacting on set. Bonus features also included funny bloopers and the cast and crew talking about how much of an amazing experience working on this movie was, plus a clip of Ryan Gosling singing “Boys Just Want To Have Fun,” a parody of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Want To Have Fun.”

Overall, Gerwig manages to exceed all expectations and deliver a comedic classic that will surely be rewatched by all for years to come and deservedly made $1.42 billion at the worldwide box office. It also may just be the best film of the year.