Student Government fails to produce candidate for inclusivity officer

Photo by Austin Carey for The Lafayette
Student Government will appoint one of its representatives to serve as temporary Inclusivity Officer before a special election.

There will be no candidate running for Student Government inclusivity officer this election cycle after Ani Brutus ’26, the sole candidate for the position, withdrew from the running on Oct. 27.

All other candidates for Student Government executive board are running unopposed. One semester of Student Government experience is required of all candidates for executive board positions.

The reason why Brutus, a single-term Student Government representative who serves on the equity and inclusion committee, withdrew is unknown. She did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

The inclusivity officer ensures projects of the Student Government adhere to DEI principles, manages the administration of Pard Pantry and the Menstrual Equity Project and serves on the Standing Committee on Student Life, according to the Student Government website.

Brutus had pledged to uphold these responsibilities before dropping out of the race.

The office will officially become vacant after the term of the current inclusivity officer, Mariama Bah ’24, expires on Jan. 1.

Student Government President Olivia Puzio ’25 said that a special election will be held early in the spring semester to fill the position. Yet, the situation may be complicated if students without Student Government experience can run.

Student Government voted early last month to open up the position of Inclusivity Officer and two other executive board posts to students who have never served on Student Government. The faculty and board of trustees must approve the constitutional amendment, however.

“I think that inclusivity officer should be open to anybody on campus, and we’ve made that change amongst ourselves,” Puzio said. “I’m almost certain that there’s not going to be any [student] issue. It’s just that the next faculty meeting is next month, and the next Board of Trustees meeting isn’t until December.”

Before the special election, for which there is currently no date, Student Government will temporarily designate a Student Government representative to fill the vacancy, according to its bylaws. The representative must secure three-quarters of the votes of Student Government members present and voting.

It is also unknown when this vote will be carried out.

“We’ll see what comes with [the Board of Trustees] because, again, our constitution just changed so a lot of people would love to fill the position,” Puzio said.

Madeline Marriott ’24 contributed reporting.