Admissions overhauls student employee application process

Applications+for+ambassadors+are+now+accepted+on+a+rolling+basis.+
Photo by Patrick Hansell for The Lafayette
Applications for ambassadors are now accepted on a rolling basis.

This semester, the admissions office is developing changes to the working experience for Ambassadors of Lafayette, a group of student workers including tour guides, office workers and senior interviewers.

There are currently over 100 students employed by the admissions office. Previously, the application process for ambassadors only included written questions and an interview.

“This year we decided to include … a mandatory [component] for people to upload videos of themselves answering questions,” director of ambassador operations Bria London ‘24 said. “We thought that would give them a chance to show their personality.”

“Our interview cohort this year was particularly strong,” London added. “Having a more extensive filtering process has made our applicants more dedicated.”

This semester’s applications were also considered on a rolling basis, changed from the single deadline the program had in the past.

“Being able to do that rolling process gives access to students who maybe were really overwhelmed at the beginning of the semester … or who wanted to get a little more acclimated and didn’t necessarily feel qualified as a first-year student just beginning,” London said.

Jackson Eshbaugh ‘27, an ambassador, said that having first-years work as ambassadors is beneficial.

“You’re more close to a potential student as a freshman,” Eshbaugh said.

In addition to changes in the application process, student office workers have seen some changes to their roles.

With the recent retirement of Diane Mast, guest relations coordinator, office workers have had to take on additional responsibilities.

“We have to fill that void that [Mast] has left,” London said. “So now we do have [students] sitting at the desk, which wasn’t something that really existed before. But then there’s also periods where we have to have students on call, where the office phone gets directed to their phone number.”

Imani Elson ‘25, admission’s director of office operations, is working on implementing changes to help the office run more efficiently.

“I essentially overhauled the office worker manual with my bosses,” Elson said. “To make sure that everything was not only making sense to me but was able to support our office workers.”

Specifically, Elson worked to implement procedures that would help unify the student worker body across admissions roles.

“We started a new program where office workers check in the tour guides,” Elson said. “That’s been working really well to bring the office workers together with the tour guides.”

Currently, the department is uncertain as to whether or not they will keep these changes for future semesters.

“It’s still something that we’re trying to fine-tune,” London said.