Men’s lacrosse picks up season’s first two wins

Senior attacker Peter Lehman heads towards the goal. (Photo by Rick Smith for GoLeopards)

The men’s lacrosse team (2-1 overall) quickly reversed its losing record with victories over Hampton University (0-3 overall) and Drexel University (1-1 overall) last week.

The team welcomed Hampton to Fisher Stadium on Saturday, as the Leopards played in front of a home crowd for the first time in 2024.

The Maroon and White won by a final score of 22-2. Fifteen players made it on the score sheet for Lafayette.

Senior attack Peter Lehman netted a hat trick, while junior midfielder Riley Sullivan, senior attack Charlie Cunniffe, senior midfielder John Mathes, senior attack Carter Cecil and sophomore attack Aidan Best each scored a brace.

Senior defender Sean Rushton, junior midfielder Liam Sargent, senior defender Nicco Jacimovic, freshman attack Luke Breitenecker, freshman midfielder Jack Massotto, senior midfielder Brian Collins, freshman defender Matt Morelli, freshman midfielder Brendan Poirier and junior attack/midfielder Lucas Hucal notched a single goal apiece.

The team then edged past Drexel by a score of 8-7 on Tuesday. Massotto scored the game-winner with 12:19 left in the fourth quarter.

The Leopards face Binghamton at home on Saturday.

Four members of the lacrosse team did not respond to request for comment.