Student Government holds Feb. 29 meeting in violation of bylaws

Student Government’s Feb. 29 meeting was rendered null after the meeting agenda was posted only six hours in advance. According to the bylaws, meetings may not take place unless the agenda is posted publicly at least 12 hours in advance. 

To rectify this mistake, Student Government President Thania Hernandez ‘25 called a special meeting, although the 12-hour rule in the bylaws does not differentiate between regular and special meetings.

The items listed on the agenda carried on regardless – Hernandez suggested that Student Government would change the 12-hour rule in its next meeting.

Selina Zhu ‘27, the acting parliamentarian, did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

After more than a month with a vacancy for the class of 2027, Barbara Odae ‘27 was introduced as the newest first-year class representative.

The general body then discussed budget approvals. There were 11 requests from club officers and a total of $17,158 was granted – almost half the amount requested by clubs. 

The meeting concluded with Hernandez announcing upcoming Student Government opportunities, including an invitation to the Council of Lafayette Women Conference 2024 and a joint initiative with the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley to benefit education, healthy aging and community sustainability.