Women’s lacrosse loses games against Bryant, Delaware

Senior midfielder Claire Culligan drives to the cage against Bryant. (Photo by Rick Smith for GoLeopards)

The women’s lacrosse team (2-3 overall) dropped both of its games this week, starting with a weekend Athlete Ally game against Bryant University, then following that up with a rainy road loss to lacrosse powerhouse University of Delaware.

The Bryant Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-2 first-quarter lead with junior attacker Sara Rogers and sophomore midfielder Olivia Hover netting goals for the Leopards. Bryant continued to pressure the Leopards defense, putting three more in the back of the net in the second quarter while keeping the Maroon and White off the board.

Down five coming out of the locker room, Lafayette came out firing with two more goals from Rogers while fellow junior attacker Haleigh Albrecht added one of her own. The Bulldogs kept their foot on the gas, matching the Leopards’ quarter-goal total, taking a convincing lead into the final period.

The deficit proved too difficult to overcome in the fourth as the Leopards fell by a score of 15-7.  However, senior midfielder Abby Romano managed to stretch her goal-scoring streak to four games while senior midfielder Clare Culligan also managed to put one in.

In their second game of the week, the Leopards hit the road to take on Delaware. Culligan started the game out hot with a goal within the first five minutes. However, the first half was then controlled by the Blue Hens. As both teams emerged from the locker room, the score was 9-1.

The Leopards began to battle back, as both Romano and Rogers scored. Delaware’s defense locked up the Maroon and White from there, holding them scoreless for the rest of the game to finish 13-3.

The Leopards will look to get back to their winning ways as they take on the Eastern Michigan Eagles tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. on Fisher Field.

Three members of the women’s lacrosse team did not respond to requests for comment.