How Lafayette makes Broadway accessible for students

Students traveled to New York City to see “Wicked” and “The Outsiders” on Broadway. (Graphic by Isabella Gaglione ’25 for The Lafayette)

Two trips last month to see Broadway shows old and new allowed students to immerse themselves in the New York theater world at a discount. The trips were sponsored by Lafayette Activities Forum and the Arts Society.

“I think it’s important that they make it accessible to people just because it’s a really fun experience and not everybody gets to have that experience, but in making this trip, they make it accessible to the majority of people,” said Madison Horvath ’26, who saw “Wicked” with Lafayette Activities Forum.

On the same day, members of the Arts Society saw “The Outsiders,” a brand-new adaptation of the beloved 1967 novel.

Cormac Hurley ’24, the president of the Arts Society, revealed that “The Outsiders” was chosen because the society “wanted to prioritize price accessibility.”

Melissa Dalrymple, the associate director of student involvement, said that Lafayette Activities Forum looks for budget-friendly shows by utilizing “an agent who works for Broadway.”

The agent “kind of talks about all the shows and dates and which ones we can get group sales to,” she said. “The students really didn’t want to pass up ‘Wicked’ because it was in a similar price range to all the other ones, and with the idea of the movie coming out, it was just kind of like a nice compliment.”

Theater professor Mary Jo Lodge finds that these trips benefit students who have never experienced the theater world.

“I think anything that helps Lafayette students engage with the arts world is a valuable experience,” Lodge said. “I also think that’s a great first experience in New York, especially.”

Theater professor Michael O’Neill believes Lafayette should give its students more opportunities to see plays and off-Broadway shows.

“I think it’s helpful for anybody to see live theatre, whether it’s a Broadway show or something else,” O’Neill said. “I think that one of the things we’ve tried to do, at least with the theater programs, is to educate students to think beyond just Broadway.”

Students and professors agreed that theater accessibility is essential for cultivating an artistic mind and low-cost trips are some of the best ways to achieve that ideal.

“I am glad that there is a commitment to the value of arts for students and I hope that continues and I hope it’s a gateway to students returning on their own and being able to become lifelong theatergoers that find a place for the arts, even if they’re not on stage,” Lodge said. “Being an audience member can be a really rich and rewarding experience, too.”

“I mean, to pay $30 to go see a Broadway show is unheard of,” Horvath said. “There’s not really easy transportation from Easton to New York City, so to be able to buy a ticket for such a cheap price and be able to spend the whole day in the city is an absolute steal.”