Grace’s guide to local golf courses

The weather is getting warmer, and that can only mean one thing — it’s golf season. Here is a comprehensive guide to the local public and semi-private golf courses. All prices, unless otherwise noted, are for 18 holes with a golf cart rental. 

The Architects Golf Club is located over the river in New Jersey. (Photo courtesy of Architects Golf Club)

The Architects Golf Club: 700 Strykers Road, Lopatcong, New Jersey

Distance from campus: 4.4 miles

Architects is a unique course because it intentionally mimics famous golf course architects. On each hole, you’ll find a plaque with the architect that the hole is modeled after and some of their notable contributions. By necessity, Architects feels like a course without a soul, but each hole nevertheless provides a unique challenge. The biggest challenges lie off the tee — native grass areas border several holes, which errant drives have a bad habit of finding.   

Architects has the best range near campus, equipped with both mats and grass teeing stations. You can park directly next to the range and pay for balls at the dispenser. Architects also offers rental clubs for people looking to pick up golf or who don’t have their clubs on campus. 

Architects uses dynamic pricing, so prices are subject to change. A round could cost you anywhere from $48.69 to $108.69. 

Bethlehem Golf Club is the furthest course from campus on this list, but is still an affordable option. (Photo courtesy of Bethlehem Golf Club)

Bethlehem Golf Club: 400 Illick’s Mill Road, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Distance from campus: 13 miles

Bethlehem Golf Club is an inviting course, but there are still holes where you can get tripped up if you make a mistake. There is no water on the course, and really only one elevated green, which makes it an accessible course for golfers of all skill levels. 

The range is across Illick’s Mill Road from the golf course proper but has individual mats to hit from. Bethlehem also has a nine-hole executive golf course if you are interested in a shorter round. 

18 holes is $48 Monday-Friday and $60 on weekend mornings. If you’d prefer to walk, the weekday rate is only $28.

Green Pond Country Club is the site of the annual Lehigh Valley Amateur. (Photo courtesy of Green Pond Country Club)

Green Pond Country Club: 3604 Farmersville Road, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Distance from campus: 8.5 miles

The annual site of the Lehigh Valley Amateur, Green Pond is a very straightforward course that is usually receptive, aside from the three weeks a year in September when they dry out the course to make it difficult for the Amateur. If you miss left a lot off the tee, this course is not for you — virtually every hole that borders the perimeter of the property has out-of-bounds running tight down the left side. Aside from a couple of holes with hazards, Green Pond is a short, attackable course that stays in pretty good shape year-round. 

The range at Green Pond barely qualifies as such — its main purpose is for warming up, not practicing. 

The weekday rate for is $53, and a visit on the weekend will run you $68.  

Morgan Hill is located across Route 78 and boasts views of the Lehigh Valley. (Photo courtesy of the Club at Morgan Hill)

Morgan Hill Golf Course: 100 Clubhouse Drive, Easton, Pennsylvania

Distance from campus: 4.2 miles

The course website boasts nearly 300 feet of elevation changes, six split fairways, 27 bunkers and two ponds. Situated on the other side of Route 78, Morgan Hill offers “panoramic” views of Easton and the Lehigh Valley (including Lafayette). Morgan Hill is the only course on the list that I haven’t played, but it has a reputation for being a difficult, yet playable course. Elevation changes and blind shots make it a challenging course for beginners, and the hilly terrain would make walking the course difficult. 

Weekdays are $54, but Morgan Hill also offers a college student special: on weekdays after 1 p.m., you can play for $40. Weekends will run you $73. 

Riverview Country Club is the closest golf course to campus, sitting just on the other side of Chestnut Hill. (Photo courtesy of Riverview Country Club)

Riverview Country Club: 1 Riverview Place, Easton, Pennsylvania

Distance from campus: 3.3 miles

Riverview is situated on the other side of Chestnut Hill, in Forks Township. The course boasts wide fairways and greens, but some well-placed bunkers and elevation changes can make club selection tricky. While there is water on several holes, it only comes into play on two: 11 and 17, which require you to carry water to get to the green. There are also quite a few doglegs, which can be challenging if you miss the fairway.   

Riverview’s range is small and is situated in the middle of the course, away from the clubhouse. Individual practice is only open after 3 p.m. on weekdays — otherwise, you need to pay a greens fee to warm up there. 

Riverview will cost you $59 Monday–Friday and $79 on the weekends.