Places to visit in Easton before you graduate

Photo by Emma Sylvester for The Lafayette
Giacomo’s, located on College Hill, features a delicious Italian market and deli.

With graduation on the horizon, the senior class will say goodbye to not only Lafayette but to the Easton community. Before you bid farewell, here are some of my favorite spots in Easton that deserve a visit.

Residential College Hill 

We know Cattell Street, High Street and March Street make up the neighborhoods surrounding Lafayette’s campus, but that only scratches the surface of the communities on College Hill. If you are looking to get in some outside exercise, walk beyond the stretches of Wawa and College Hill Tavern and explore the eclectic landscape of Easton households.

You will see beautiful homes, from brick to stone, cozy shacks to large mansions, bright red doors to modern designs. Families will be walking their dogs and teaching their children how to ride bikes. Bright pink trees jut out onto the sidewalk, wildflowers grow in the patchy grass areas. It is a serene break from the buzz of campus and a reminder of the Easton charm that makes going to school here so special.

Giacomo’s Italian Market and Grille 

In the middle of your residential walk, take a pit stop at Giacomo’s Italian Market and Grille, found down the northern end of Cattell Street. There is nothing like a cold turkey sub on a warm Saturday afternoon with a can of ice-cold blood orange San Pellegrino. It is usually packed in there, and for good reason. 

You can also take advantage of their market selection featuring Italian goodies like sauce, cheese and desserts. I took my native Italian relatives to Giacomo’s and they bought boxes and boxes of pasta and cookies – so it is confirmed authentic! Giacomo’s is, in my opinion, a Lafayette staple (and they accept Pard Dollars if you have any left).

Nevin Park 

The Quad is beautiful on a sunny day, don’t get me wrong, but if you want a quieter grassy area to lay your outdoor blanket, head to Nevin Park on East Lafayette Street. With a fountain, lawn chairs, picnic tables and a playground, this park is the perfect place to rest during finals week. 

Make a wish in the fountain, unleash your inner child on the swings, have a picnic with your friends, hunt for four-leaf clovers in the grass. The opportunities are endless at a park like this. And with a view of the hills of the Lehigh Valley in the background, who could resist?

ThreeBirds Coffee House

This one seems like a given, but I have recently spoken to an alarming number of people who have never experienced the goodness gifted to us by the ThreeBirds Coffee House gods. The repurposed mansion turned coffee shop is one of my favorite parts of going to Lafayette, and a place of solace in the midst of stressful weeks. 

Here, you will be greeted by a wide range of comfortable couches and chairs, rich lattes, baked goods and, as the name suggests, BIRDS! Read Elisabeth Seidel’s article to learn more about the famous birds that are sure to brighten your day. However, I would urge you to go there and see it for yourself, whether it be for a finals studying session or getting a cup of coffee to say goodbye to your favorite professor.