Sports Recap Central

Baseball (2-11)

March 3 vs. Harvard

L, 13-1

The Leopards struggled at the plate as they couldn’t solve the Crimson’s pitcher. Sophomores Dan Leckie and John Selsor combined for five hits on the afternoon.

March 4 vs. Coppin State

W, 6-5

After trailing 4-0 early, the Leopards rallied to beat the Eagles. Junior Steven Cohen, senior Alex Woinski and Leckie each had a pair of hits in the contest.

March 5 vs. Harvard

L, 6-0

Yet again, the Leopards couldn’t muster up any offense against the Crimson as they only managed one hit, a single from Woinski, in the first game of the day.

March 5 vs. Coppin State

L, 3-1

Leckie blasted a solo home run in the first inning, but the Leopards were unable to cross the plate again as they fell to the Eagles.

March 7 @ Fairleigh Dickinson 

L, 10-9 (8)

Despite out-hitting the Knights 15-8, the Leopards struggled mainly due to poor defense, accruing five errors in the game. The Leopards mounted a comeback, posting four runs in the eighth inning, but the game was cut short due to darkness.

Men’s Tennis (5-6)

March 4 vs. Rider

W, 6-1

The Leopards swept the doubles portion of the meet, going 6-4 in every match. During the singles portion all but one player won their games.

March 5 @ St. Peter’s

W, 4-3

Both teams split the singles points 3-3, but the Leopards gained the advantage by winning the doubles point. Freshman Drew Rooks and junior Mason Keel won one doubles match and junior Chris Kim and freshman Paul Caruso won the other.

Men’s Lacrosse (0-5)

March 4 @ Army

L, 14-4

The Leopards found themselves in a 6-0 hole early against the 15th ranked Knights and couldn’t mount a comeback. Junior Scott McAvoy netted two goals and senior Eric Joseph added two assists.

Women’s Lacrosse (5-2)

March 4 @ Central Connecticut State

W, 17-6

Sophomore Emma Novick and senior Kirsten Wilhelmsen each had a hat trick and sophomore Jane Kirby netted five goals as the Leopards went on to destroy the Blue Devils.

March 8 @ Manhattan

W, 16-12

After being tied at halftime, the Leopards pulled away late in the second half to defeat the Jaspers. Wilhelmsen scored six goals in the game, while Kirby and Novick added a pair of hat tricks yet again.

Women’s Basketball (3-26)

March 4 @ Holy Cross

W, 58-54

In the opening round of the Patriot League Tournament, the Leopards beat the Crusaders. Freshman Olivia Gumbs had 20 points and a career high 15 rebounds while junior Anna Ptasinski added 11 points.

March 6 @ Navy

L, 53-37

Despite taking a lead into the fourth quarter, the Leopards were unable to hold on as the Midshipmen found their groove late, outscoring them in the final frame 26-9. The loss ended the season for the Leopards.

Women’s Tennis (4-5)

March 4 vs. Rider

W, 6-1

Although they dropped one match, the women were able to win the doubles point and five of the six available singles points. Freshman Grace Conrad swept her match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

March 5 @ St. Peter’s

W, 5-2

Despite dropping the doubles point, the Leopards rallied to win five of six singles points and seal the victory.

Softball (1-3)

March 4 vs. Morgan State

L, 7-0

The Leopards were only able to muster four hits in their season opening shutout loss to the Bears.

March 4 @ Coppin State

L, 3-2

Despite a stellar game from senior Kristyn Marinelli, in which she gave up only three runs in 6.1 innings and went 2-3 from the plate with two RBIs, the Leopards were unable to defeat the Eagles.

March 5 vs. Morgan State

W, 3-2

Sophomore Stacy Gordon lasted 5.2 innings and gave up one unearned run, as the Leopards got revenge over the Bears in a one run victory.

March 5 @ UMBC

L, 5-0

The Leopards struggled at the plate again, only notching four hits in a shutout loss against the Terriers in the last game of the UMBC/Coppin St. 1st Pitch Classic.