Summer thefts

Six minors studying at Lafayette through a Johns Hopkins University program reported stolen items from their rooms this summer.

According to Assistant Director of Public Safety Jim Meyer, the minors were between the ages of 14 and 16.

On July 9, a JHU male and two JHU females reported the theft of cash from their unlocked rooms. The next day, another JHU female reported stolen cash. The three females were housed in Watson Hall while the male student was in South College.

Another JHU female reported a stolen wallet from outside her room at South College on July 26. And the final incident was a stolen cell phone from a JHU male’s unlocked room in South College on August 9.

With the exception of the July 26 theft, all instances were categorized as burglaries because suspects entered student rooms uninvited.

Other details of the incidents could not be divulged by Public Safety because the investigations would be compromised.

Meyer believes these incidents should be seen as a warning by students to keep their doors locked and possessions secure.

“You can’t treat your room door like your bedroom door at home. You just can’t. You got to treat it like the front door to your house because anybody can have access to that,” Meyer said.

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, 87,160 property crime incidents were identified near college campuses in 2011. Lafayette is a school of approximately 2,400 students in Easton, home to about 27,000.