Letter to the Editor

Many long-time members of the Lafayette community have often heard complaints about the lack of school spirit and institutional pride.  Well, it sure hasn’t been hard to find incredible school spirit this past month.

Since mid-February, our men’s basketball team has run off seven straight wins, including two home wins over Lehigh, and we find ourselves competing Wednesday night in the Patriot League championship game with an NCAA tournament berth on the line.  As Lafayette Sports Network play-by-play announcer Gary Laubach would say, “Oh my!”

As well as our team is playing under outstanding senior leadership in Tony Johnson and Levi Giese, a real high point for me is to see the outstanding support from the Lafayette community, particularly our students.

A big shout-out and thank you goes to Michael Prisco and Student Government for their generous financial support of the Patriot League Tournament, which allowed us to provide 500 free tickets and t-shirts to students at the Patriot League quarter and semifinal round games.  Thanks also to the Student Life and Development divisions, the President’s Office, Easton Coach and the Maroon Club for sponsoring student buses for the Championship game.

Lafayette is a special community and it’s particularly rewarding to see our community rally around our school and the basketball team during this exciting time.

#WeAreLafayette

Bruce E. McCutcheon
Director of Athletics
Lafayette College