Sports Recap Central

Women’s Lacrosse (5-12) (2-7)

April 25

W, 13-12 @ American

The Leopards began the game strong with a five point advantage halfway through the first half.  American caught up by halftime, and even had the lead in the second half, but Lafayette stayed strong until the final seconds. Freshman attacker Anna Stein ended the game with seven points, three assists and four goals including one she made with a second left on the clock to bring the Leopards to a 13-12 victory. 

April 28

L, 13-12 @ Colgate

Both Lafayette and Colgate were playing at the same level with neither team gaining a large advantage throughout the entire game. Sophomore midfielder Bella Alampi tied the game with 18 seconds remaining to send it into overtime where Colgate defeated the Leopards 13-12. 

Baseball (14-32-1) (2-18-1)

April 25

L, 8-1 @Penn State

Lafayette took on Penn State on last Wednesday in a non- league game. Penn State struck first, in the third inning, and maintained an impressive lead entering the eighth with a 7-0 lead. The Leopards got on the board in the eighth, but Penn State added another run in the top of the ninth to eventually beat Lafayette 8-1.    

April 28

L, 7-1 vs Bucknell

Lafayette had one run in the fourth inning, but Bucknell allowed only that one run on eight hits and struck out 11 Leopards. 

April 28

T, 3-3- vs Bucknell

The second game in Lafayette’s doubleheader against Bucknell started off slow with neither team on the board until the third inning. Bucknell added two more runs in the fourth to take the lead 3-1, but the Leopards were able to come back in the bottom of the sixth to tie up the game 3-3. At this point the weather took a turn, forcing a 3-3- tie. 

April 29

L, 10-4 vs Navy

The Leopards went back and forth with Navy in the first of their two games last Sunday. Navy started strong with a 3-0 lead, but the Leopards answered in the bottom of the frame with a two-run homer by senior outfielder Luke Robinson. Navy came back in the fifth and sixth innings taking 10-3 lead into the seventh where Lafayette grabbed one run, and Navy ultimately won.

L, 9-7 vs Navy

Navy again grabbed an early lead in the second game, with Lafayette trailing 8-0 into the third inning. The Leopards staged an impressive comeback late in the game with several runs and a three-run homer in the ninth. Lafayette came up short as Navy held on to their lead a victory over the Leopards.   

W, 11-5 vs Monmouth

Brendan Ball started the game on the mound for the Leopards, and played 4.1 innings. The Leopards racked up 11 runs in the game, led by senior infielder Steven Cohen, sophomore infielder John Marti and freshman infielder Ethan Stern who all finished the game with three runs.

Men’s Tennis (5-14) (1-6)

April 26

W, 4-1 vs Holy Cross 

The Leopards defeated Holy Cross in the opening round of the Patriot League Tournament at Colgate last Thursday. The Leopards dropped the doubles point, but came back strong in the singles matches. The four Lafayette points came from freshman Daniel Kramer, freshman John Yurconic, freshman Brandt Baldwin and senior Mason Keel. 

April 27

L, 4-0 vs Navy 

The team ended their season with a loss in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals. The Leopards dropped the doubles point against top seeded Navy, and came close in their singles matches, but couldn’t find a point there either. 

Track and Field

April 28

@ Lehigh Games 

At the Lehigh Games, six women finished in the top-10 in the track events and two in the field events. The men also performed well, with ten top-10 finishers in track and nine top-10 finishes in the field.

April 26-28

@ Penn Relays 

The women’s 4 x 400 relay team of freshman Sophia Gardinier, junior Charlotte Gacek, junior Amy Hewlett and sophomore Crosby Spiess ran a time of 4:04:48. The men’s 4 x 400 team of sophomore Tyler Hubeny, senior Tyler Pressl, sophomore Justin Johnson and senior Brendan Carroll ran a time of 3:21:79. For the field, senior Dave McGriff finished 11th in the hammer throw, with a distance of nearly 55 meters. 

Disclaimer: Amy Hewlett is the sports editor and did not edit the track and field recaps in this article.

Men’s Golf

April 27, 28, 29

@ Patriot League Championship

The Leopards placed sixth at the Patriot League Championships, hosted by Lehigh last weekend. Junior Trey Croney and sophomore Will Halamandaris tied for 10th, contributing heavily to the team’s sixth place finish. Lafayette’s final round team score of 302 was its best of the tournament, and Croney and Halamandaris both finished at 12 over 228, tied with six other athletes. 

Softball (7-39) (3-12)

May 2

L, 13-2 vs Marist

The Leopards closed out the season home slate with a doubleheader against Marist on Wednesday. In the first game, Marist took the lead with nine runs in the fourth and fifth innings. The Leopards got on the board in the bottom of the fourth making the score 9-2. Marist finished strong with back to back home runs for a final score of 13-2.

L, 4-3 vs Marist

Lafayette softball started out strong in game two against Marist, scoring three runs in the first inning. The game was close throughout, with a Leopards lead of 3-0 going in the third inning. Marist answered with four runs in the top of the third and Lafayette nearly tied the game in the sixth inning, but neither team managed any more runs with Marist eventually defeating the Leopards 4-3.