Sports Recap Central

Women’s soccer (3-2-0) (0-0-0)

Aug. 31 @ Delaware

L, 1-0

Sophomore goalkeeper Maggie Pohl gave up just one goal, but the Leopards offense was completely stifled, left scoreless on 10 shots, five of which were on goal.

Sept. 2 vs. Hartford

L, 2-0

The first half of the game was a deadlocked scoreless tie, before Hartford broke through with goals in back to back minutes to start the second half. The Leopards were held to zero shots in the game, surrendering 16 to Hartford, nine of which were on goal.

Men’s soccer (1-1-0) (0-0-0)

Sept. 1 @ Stony Brook

W, 1-0

Junior forward James Gibson netted the only goal of the game with seven seconds left in the game, turning freshman goalkeeper Alex Sutton’s shutout into a shutout win. Sutton recorded six saves in the game.

Sept. 4 @ Siena

W, 2-1

Gibson accounted for all of Lafayette’s goals for the second time in a row, reaching the back of the net twice. Sutton recorded two more saves in the win.

Awards: Alex Sutton – Patriot League Goalie of the Week

Women’s volleyball (2-4) (0-0)

Aug. 31 vs. Manhattan, Coppin State

W, 3-1; W, 3-2

Freshman Grace Tulevech recorded 35 kills, along with 28 by junior Katrina Ruggiero to win both of their first two matches in the Crosstown Tournament.

Sept. 1 vs. Rutgers, Rider

L, 3-0; L, 3-2

The Leopards were blanked in the second and final day of the Crosstown Tournament. Tulevech led the way again with 21 kills over the two matches. Against Rider, the Leopards took the first and second sets, but were stumped to find an answer as Rider ran the table to earn the win.

Field hockey (0-3) (0-0)

Aug. 31 @ Richmond

L, 4-2

Down 4-0, the Leopards’ comeback bid came too little too late. Juniors Lisa van der Geest and Sam Di Maio tallied goals, while junior Sarah Park and freshman Hailey Abbott minded the net, with Abbott playing for the first time in her collegiate career.

Sept. 2 @ William & Mary

L, 4-1

Freshman Molly McAndrew netted her first goal in her collegiate career to tie the game at one goal apiece, but William & Mary, ranked #22 in the country, struck again a few minutes later to retake the lead and eventually pull away.

Cross country

Aug. 31 @ Bison Open

Senior Caroline Harmon finished 15th out of 132nd as the women placed four in the top 50. Senior Mark DiPaola led the way for the men, finishing 55th.

Football (0-1) (0-0)

Sept. 1 @ Sacred Heart

Senior Jacob Bissell’s two field goals were all the Leopards could muster at Sacred Heart. Sophomores Sean O’Malley and Cole Northrup split time at the quarterback position in the loss. After missing his freshman year due to injury, sophomore JJ Younger led the team in rushing with 45 yards.