Leopards dominated by Lehigh in cross country dual meet

The Lafayette men’s and women’s cross country teams hosted Lehigh in a dual meet on Saturday, Sept. 15. The men’s team lost in a sweep (50-15 Lehigh). Despite having a runner place in the top four, the women’s team also lost (45-17 Lehigh).

For the men’s team, freshman Timothy Larsen led the way for the Leopards, placing 13th out of 29 eligible runners. Larsen’s final time on the day was 27:07. Sophomore Thomas Anthony finished right behind him in 14th.

For the women’s team, senior Caroline Harmon led the team, placing fourth overall with a time of 23:18. Senior Emily Moore and junior Margaret Schiazza both finished in the top-10. Sophomore Ainsley Jacobs and freshman Autumn Sands finished in 13th and 14th, respectively.

“For the dual meet it’s just about beating Lehigh.” Harmon said. “It’s a different environment” since the team is only going up against Lehigh.

About a third of the way through the season, Lafayette only has a month and a week until the Patriot League Championship.

“As a team we want to improve in the Patriot league. Last year we were ninth, and our goal this year coming in is to be top five.”

The men’s and women’s teams travel to the Lehigh for the Paul Short Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 29.

“[The Paul Short invitational] is actually our biggest invitational of the year…It’s probably our best chance…[to] set personal records. The goal there is to go out and run fast.”