Sports Recap Central

Women’s Tennis (2-0)

Oct. 12 vs. Monmouth University

W, 7-0

The women’s tennis team won all contests in their first home match against Monmouth, both in singles and doubles. The Leopards dominated across the board, and only allowed one match to go to a tiebreaker before winning. Juniors Meredith Block and Grace Conrad, sophomores Cecelia Lesnick and Samantha Snyder, and freshman Maureen McCormack, all participated in both singles and doubles wins. Junior Katie Hill and sophomore Ruthie Wilson also picked up singles wins, while sophomore Alexa Cooke paired with Maureen McCormack for a doubles victory.

Women’s Volleyball (5-15) ( 0-8)

Oct. 12 vs. Holy Cross

L, 1-3

The Lafayette women’s volleyball team fell 3-1 to Holy Cross on the team’s annual Dig Pink night. Freshman outside hitter Grace Tulevech had a career-high 23 kills, along with an assist and four blocks. Tulevech’s 23 kills are a Patriot League high this season. Freshman middle blocker Kelly Austin contributed a career-high eight kills, along with three aces and a career-high six blocks. Junior setter Julia Howard contributed 38 assists, to pair with 12 digs, three kills, and two aces.

The first set was a back-and-forth contest, resulting in Holy Cross jumping out to an early lead with a 25-22 victory. Lafayette responded quickly, taking the second set 25-17. The Leopards dropped the last two sets and ultimately lost 3-1.

Field Hockey (6-9-0) (3-1-0)

Oct. 13 vs. Holy Cross

W, 3-2

The field hockey team claimed a crucial 3-2 victory over Holy Cross to maintain their hold on one of the final spots in the Patriot League Tournament. The Leopards are currently in third place. Lafayette dominated the contest, outshooting Holy Cross 24-7, and taking eight corners compared to Holy Cross’ one.

The Leopards jumped out to an early lead thanks to junior forward Caroline Turnbull’s goal less than 10 minutes into the match and then took a 2-0 lead in the second half from a goal by senior forward Kristen Taylor. Freshman forward Molly McAndrew added one more goal for the Leopards, as the team went on to win 3-2. Sarah Park finished with two saves and earned her sixth win of the season in the contest.

Oct. 14 vs. Providence

L, 0-2

In a tough defensive battle, the Leopards failed to get on the board and their four-game winning streak was snapped. Lafayette held the advantage over Providence in shots (8-6) and corners (5-3), but failed to execute on several close scoring opportunities. Junior goalkeeper Sarah Park tallied two saves in the loss.

Men’s Soccer (5-5-3) (1-2-2)

Oct. 13 vs. Lehigh

W, 1-0

The men’s soccer team picked up a huge win over rival and Patriot League leader Lehigh to earn their first conference win of the season. Freshman goalkeeper Alex Sutton had a huge night, earning a four save shutout, his fifth shutout of the season.

Junior midfielder Chris Gomez scored on a penalty kick to give the Leopards a 1-0 lead early in the second half. That one goal was all the team needed, as the defense held tough for the remaining 42 minutes to give Lafayette its first Patriot League victory.

Oct. 16 vs Rutgers

L, 4-1

The men’s soccer team used a non-conference matchup to rest some of their regular players in a loss to Rutgers. Junior midfielder Ryan Goncalves had the lone tally for the Leopards in the 15th minute off a throw-in that he struck out of mid-air into the net. Freshman goalkeeper Jack Cisneros made his collegiate debut in goal and made two saves. The Leopards matched Rutgers with 10 shots apiece and held a slight advantage on corner kicks, 6-5.

Football (1-5) (0-2)

Oct. 13 vs. Georgetown

L, 6-13

The Leopards football team fell to Georgetown 13-3 in a defensive battle over homecoming weekend. Junior receiver Nick Pearson had a good day, putting up career-highs in receptions and receiving yards with 140 yards on 10 catches. Sophomore running back Selwyn Simpson also played well, racking up 45 yards on the ground and 29 more through the air. Freshman lineman Malik Hamm had a career day defensively, registering nine tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble. Senior defensive back Yasir Thomas also made five stops and had a key pass breakup. Sean O’Malley with 250 yards and three interceptions with 49 pass attempts.

Women’s Soccer (4-11-0) (1-6-0)

Oct. 13 vs. Lehigh

L, 1-4

The Leopards suffered a 4-1 loss to rival Lehigh in a Patriot League matchup. Senior midfielder Katie Brannigan scored in the 10th minute to knot the game at one. The tie was short-lived though, as Lehigh took a 2-1 lead 18 seconds later. Lafayette put together a few chances in the second half, but they were all shut down by the Lehigh goalkeeper. Lafayette goalkeeper Maggie Pohl finished with a season-high 11 saves.

Oct. 17 vs. Navy

L, 1-0

The women’s soccer team had a close setback at the hands of Navy in a Patriot League matchup. The Leopards failed to score and registered only one shot on goal in a defensive battle. Senior forward Alex Stanford had the lone shot on goal, and sophomore goalkeeper Maggie Pohl had one save.

Men’s golf

Oct. 16 @ Lehigh (President’s Cup)

L, 5-4

Sophomore Brendan Cronin and freshman Ryan Tall won their singles matches, but all other matches were either halved or lost as the Leopards gave back the President’s Cup after winning it in 2017. In the past eight years, Lafayette and Lehigh have each won the Cup four times.