Hitting the Florida fairways: Golf ends fall season with fifth place finish at FGCU

With six matches under their belt, the Lafayette golf team finished their last fall tournament of the year at Florida Gulf Coast University Classic in Estero, Fla. at the Old Corkscrew Golf Club. With some strong individual performances, Lafayette scored a total of 920, placing fifth overall out of nine teams.

“I think that as a team we were satisfied with the way we wrapped up the season,” Cronin said. “We all could say that we could have played better and we definitely have shots back to the field, but overall the trip to Florida was amazing.”

Four of the golfers ended their weekend with top-25 finishes out of 54. The leader for Lafayette, sophomore Cole Berger, tied for 16th with a 228. Following Berger, junior Will Halamandaris scored a 230 tying for 19th. Sophomore Brendan Cronin followed (T-22) with a 232, and freshman Kazuki Osawa (T-25) with a 234.

“Outstanding players of the tournament were Will Halamandaris and Cole Berger,” Cronin said. “Will was only five strokes back heading into the final round and [although] he didn’t finish like he [had] hoped, he had a great tournament. Cole played steady golf the entire tournament and finished top 20 in a difficult field.”

Between now and the spring, the team will have an offseason to prepare.

The most important next step for the team is to first and foremost “relax and let the body rejuvenate and recharge,” Cronin said. “We have been playing everyday practically for the entire first semester and that really takes a role on your body over a long period of time. We also are going to get into the gym and start lifts every week. This [was something I did] last year…that was huge in improving my driving distance in the spring, and I’m trying to get more guys going to lifts this winter.”

“We also will start up three day practices after winter break and get ready for the spring season,” he added.

Cronin said that his personal goals and his team goals were well met during the fall season.

“My goals for the beginning of the year were to first win a tournament as a team and put myself in positions at top of the leaderboard in more tournaments,” Cronin said. “I believe that [both] as a team and individually we accomplished these goals. We won at Colgate as a team and individually for me. I also put myself near top of leaderboards at UConn and Lehigh.”

Although this was their last tournament for the fall season, the team will be back in action in March as they host the Abarta Coca-Cola Collegiate Invitational in Hellertown, Pa. on their way to competing for the Patriot League Championship.

“This spring I am looking forward to getting a chance to win Patriot League title back at Colgate,” Cronin said.