Sports Recap Central

Men’s basketball (5-15) (2-7) 

Jan. 26 vs Army

L, 69-63

The Leopards couldn’t hold on at the end, despite leading throughout the first 30 minutes of the game. Sophomore guards Alex Petrie and Justin Jaworski paced the team in scoring with 20 and 15, respectively. Senior forward Paulius Zalys did a little bit of everything with three points, seven rebounds, four assists, one block and one steal. 

Jan. 30 vs Lehigh

L, 93-86

A thrilling finish to regulation was overshadowed by a disappointing overtime period for the Leopards, as the team surged back to erase a late deficit on a pair of clutch jump shots from Petrie, one to tie the game with 2.8 seconds left, before the team was outscored 18-11 in the extra frame. Freshman guard Isaac Suffren had 16 points and four rebounds to join Jaworski, Petrie, and junior forward Lukas Jarrett in double-digit scoring.

Women’s basketball (7-13) (2-7) 

Jan. 26 vs American

L, 60-45 

A strong effort in the first three quarters was overshadowed by a fourth quarter in which the Leopards were outscored 26-10. Sophomore forward Natalie Kucowski led the team in scoring with 12 but struggled with her shot, finishing 3-12 in the loss. Senior guard Alex Cantwell and sophomore guard Drew Freeland shot efficiently, combining for 15 points on a 6-15 effort from the field.

Jan. 30 vs Boston University

L, 47-44

Despite holding an 11-point halftime lead, the offense went cold in the second half and scored just 11 points in the final two quarters. Kucowski had an all-around performance with four points, nine rebounds, eight assists, and a career-high six blocks. Sophomore guard Olivia Martino and Freeland combined for 26 points on 11-21 shooting in the loss.

Swim and dive

Jan. 26 vs Rider

Both the men’s and women’s team fell short to Rider, combining to win just three events total. Freshman Samantha Talecki recorded the only first place finish on the women’s side with her 100-yard freestyle time of 56.59. Senior Kyle Doherty won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:50.46, while freshman Naoki Nomura won the 100-yard freestyle in 53.95 for the men. 

Jan. 27 vs Colgate

The men’s team squeaked out a win over Colgate by a final score of 152-144, while the women’s team lost 181-107. Outstanding performances came from senior Kyle Doherty, freshman Michael Gorgan, and sophomore Tanner McFarland, who won two events each. On the women’s side, the Leopards won three events. Senior Faye Melekos won the 100-yard backstroke, and came back to win the 200-yard freestyle with freshman Emily Wilson, senior Julia Hall, and junior Anne Marie Mozrall. 

Track and field

Jan 25 & 26

The Leopards travelled to Bucknell University for the Bison Open, with 12 athletes finishing third place or higher including six first place finishes from junior Tyler Hubeny (Heptathlon), sophomore Sam Fishbein (35lb weight throw), sophomore Harrison Greenhill (shot put), freshman Cassandra Wilk (1000m run), freshman Autumn Sands (mile run), and freshman Jill Warabak (60m Hurdles). Hubeny broke the school record in the Heptathalon, with 4784 points. Warabak earned Patriot League Female Rookie of the Week honors for the second week in a row.