Sports Recap Central

Men’s basketball (6-16) (3-8) 

Feb. 2 vs Bucknell

L, 94-66

Sophomore guard Alex Petrie recorded 16 points and a pair of steals, while fellow sophomore guard Justin Jaworski netted 12 points and grabbed four rebounds. The team couldn’t get it going offensively against a strong Bucknell squad, shooting 34 percent from the field and 25 percent from long range. Senior co-captain Paulius Zalys rounded out the double digit scorers with 11.

Feb. 6 @ Boston University

W, 79-72

After four consecutive losses, the Leopards bounced back with a strong offensive effort. Petrie scored 20 points on an efficient 8-14 from the field, and junior forward Lukas Jarrett tallied 13 points and nine rebounds. The team shot 54 percent from the field and a scorching 43.5 percent from three point range en route to the win.

Women’s basketball (7-14) (2-8) 

Feb. 2 @ Holy Cross

L, 56-53

Sophomore forward Natalie Kucowski hit a pull-up jumper to force overtime, but the team was outscored 9-6 in the extra frame. Senior guard Alex Cantwell stuffed the stat sheet with 10 points, seven rebounds, and five assists, while Kucowski added 22 points to go along with 13 rebounds for her tenth double-double of the season.

Men’s lacrosse (0-1) (0-0)

Feb. 2 @ Rutgers

L, 14-8

Sophomore midfielder Andrew Robbins kicked off the 2019 season with his first career hat trick, and freshmen midfielders Ryan Kirkwood and Cole Dutton both tallied their first career goals. The team struggled on the face offs, winning just three compared to Rutgers’ 23. Freshman goalie Ryan Ness started off his collegiate career on a strong foot, recording 14 saves on 44 total shots.

Swimming & diving 

Feb. 2 @ Bucknell

Sophomore Mary Zimmerman recorded a second place finish in the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 19:08.43, and junior Emily Benson finished just behind her in fourth place with a time of 19:18.45. The women’s team also earned third and fourth place finishes in the 200-yard breaststroke. The Leopards have the next week off before Patriot League Championships start on Feb. 18.

Track & field 

Feb. 2 @ DeSchriver & Villanova

Senior Caroline Harmon broke a 27-year-old school record in the mile run with her time of 4:57.67. Freshman Autumn Sands recorded a personal best in the 3000-meter run, earning sixth place all time in the Lafayette record books. Sophomore Olivia Barney’s weight throw of 15.51 meters put her in tenth place all time in school history and senior Thomas Strand ran the tenth fastest 400-meter dash in Lafayette history with a time of 49.86 seconds.