Two Leopards win flight titles at Siena Invitational to kick off fall tennis season

The Lafayette men’s and women’s tennis teams opened their fall schedule last weekend with a trip to the Siena Invitational in Schenectady, N.Y.. Sophomores Maureen McCormack and Will Barry both captured flight titles, going a combined 6-0 on the weekend.

The Leopards faced several Patriot League and non-conference opponents, including Colgate University, College of the Holy Cross, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Hofstra University, and Siena College.

“Our team went in with a very optimistic and fun attitude, as this was also our freshman’s first opportunity at college-level play,” junior Alexa Cooke said. “Each player on the men’s and women’s side fought for each of their matches and I believe played exceptionally against great competitors.”

For the women, McCormack won the women’s “B” flight after winning all four of her matches over the weekend, including a 6-0 sweep in her last two sets.

“I felt really confident about my game and trusted it,” McCormack said. “The confidence I had on Friday after beating the [number one] seed in the tournament propelled my trust and led me to go for my shots. Additionally my coaches’ and teammates’ confidence in myself and my game, also added to my confidence throughout the tournament.”

Senior Grace Conrad went 3-1 over the weekend after losing her first set on Friday, and won the back draw bracket in the women’s “B” flight. Junior Samantha Snyder won a pair of games and lost one in the women’s “A” flight, while McCormack and freshman Alyssa Sarver went 2-1 in the women’s doubles “C” flight but lost in the final game.

Cooke went 2-1 in the women’s “C” flight, and said that her left arm and lower back negatively “impacted” her play in the final match after a “tough” 10 days of practice and training.

“My body [arm and back] caught up to me slightly,” Cooke said. “… However, I am pleased with my play as I competed in every match and stood my ground physically. Mentally, I felt strong and ready to compete.”

“Now, I look forward to listening to my body and working on my strength and conditioning before our next match for the sake of my individual play and for our team’s success,” she added.

On the men’s side, Barry knocked off the top seed in the bracket in his first match of the weekend and then won his second game to capture the men’s “A” flight.

“I served pretty well which took a lot of pressure off me and allowed me to play aggressively,” Barry said. “Overall, I thought the team had a great weekend and competed well.”

Freshmen Nash Lovallo and Ryan Thompson each won a pair of games in the men’s “D” flight in their first collegiate tennis action.

“As a whole, the team performed so well,” McCormack said. “Everyone was playing their hearts out and having really good results.”

“I think for us this was a really solid tournament and is a great way for us to start the season,” she added.

Next up for the men’s team is a trip to Villanova, Pa., for the Villanova Invitational this weekend, while the women return to action on September 25th at Rider University.