Sports Recap Central: 9/26/2014

Football (1-2, 0-0)

September 20 – Lafayette at William & Mary

L, 33-19

Despite leading at halftime by a score of 19-9, Lafayette was unable to overcome the William & Mary offense. In the second half the Tribe scored 24 unanswered points. Sophomore Drew Reed may have had his best performance of the year thus far, completing 22 of 29 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown. Senior Ross Scheuerman continued his success this season, rushing for 170 yards, including a 72-yard touchdown run.

Golf

September 18-20 – Rutgers Fall Invitational from Rutgers University Golf Course

8/18

Sophomore Jared Mactas visited in a tie for fourth place. He fired a three-day score of four under par, shooting rounds of 71, 69, and 69. Freshman Sam Aronoff was the next best finisher for the Leopards, finishing in a tie for 18th place recording rounds of 77, 72, and 69.

Men’s Soccer (3-3-2, 0-0)

September 17 – Lafayette at Pittsburgh

T, 0-0 2OT

Even though Lafayette outshot the Panthers 7-4, it wasn’t enough to give the Leopards the victory. Senior goalie Sandy Leavy had four stops in goal, earning him his second shutout of the season.

September 20 – Lafayette at Binghamton

W, 1-0

Junior Greg Biggiani netted a deflection in the 63rd minute to earn the Leopards the victory. Goalie Senior Sandy Leavy stopped seven shots in goal in his second straight shutout.

September 23 – Lafayette at Albany

W, 1-0 2OT

Despite being outshot 3-2, Lafayette was able to down the Terriers. For the second straight game, junior Greg Biggiani scored the game-deciding goal. Biggiani scored in the 102nd minute to seal the deal for the Leopards. Senior goalie Sandy Leavy also earned is third straight shutout.

Field Hockey (4-4, 0-1)

September 20 – Lafayette at Boston University

L, 2-1

Senior Jenna Seybert was able to tie the game in the 47th minute on an assist from junior Kirby Szalkowski and senior Kelsey Mead. The Leopards were able to see three shots on net in the final ten minutes – two by sophomore Amanda Magadan and one by senior Kelsey Mead.

September 21 – Lafayette at No. 5 Connecticut

L, 2-1

Senior Brittany Blass was able to score in the 29th minute to take a 1-0 lead over the defending national champions. Sophomore Katelyn Arnold made her first career start in goal against the Huskies. She was able to stop five goals, allowing only two to Connecticut’s high-octane offense.

Women’s Soccer (3-5, 0-0)

September 20 – Lafayette vs. Colgate

L, 2-0

The Red Raiders were able to net two second half goals in both the 59th and 74th minutes. Sophomore goalie Danielle Sedillo was only able to stop one shot attempt during the game.

Volleyball (3-10, 0-2)

September 17 – Lafayette vs. Lehigh

L, 3-1

The Leopards opened up Patriot League play against their rivals, Lehigh. Despite losing 25-15 in the first set, the Leopards regrouped, keeping it close in the second set, losing 25-20, and winning the third set by a score of 25-23. They continued to battle in the fourth set, losing only 25-22. Senior Danielle Towslee led the way in kills with 12, while junior Lauren Pisauro led the way in digs with 20.

September 19 – Lafayette vs. Navy

L, 3-0

The Leopards got shut out in the second game league play. Sophomore Jet Manzi led the way in kills with six and also added six aces on the day. Senior Katy Rooney also had six kills, while junior Lauren Pisauro led the way in digs with 11.