Sports Central Recap: 10/10/2014

Cross Country

Oct. 4 – Paul Short Invitational from Bethlehem

M: 34 of 40, W: 31 of 40

Junior Stephanie Benko finished second for the women with a time of 21:31. Senior Andrew Warshauer led the men with a time of 26:16.

Football (2-3, 0-1)

Oct. 3 – Lafayette at Fordham

L, 42-18

The Rams bullied the Leopards in their Patriot League opener. The Lafayette defense was unable to stop the high-octane Fordham offense, allowing 524 yards of total offense. Sophomore quarterback Blake Searfoss went 18 of 32 passing for 190 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Senior running back Ross Scheuerman was slowed by the Fordham defense, rushing for only 39 yards and gaining 56 yards through the air.

Golf

Oct. 4-6 – Lafayette at the Binghamton Invitational from The Links at Hiawatha Landing

7th of 16

The Leopards were led by freshman Art Griffin, who fired rounds of 74 and 75 to finish at a tie for 23rd overall. The second place finisher for the Leopards was senior Kirk Massie, finishing tied in 35th after shooting a 75 and 77 over a two day span.

Men’s Soccer (3-5-2, 0-2-0)

Oct. 4 – Lafayette at Navy

L, 1-0

Senior goalie Sandy Leavy had two saves on the day, but only needed to allow one goal to seal the win for the Midshipmen. The Leopard offense totaled seven shots on goal, despite scoring.

Field Hockey (5-7, 1-2)

Oct. 4 – Lafayette at Holy Cross

W, 2-0

The team was able to end a five game losing streak by taking the Crusaders by a score of 2-0. Senior Kelsey Mead scored in the 33rd minute, while freshman Rosie Shanks netted a goal in the 70th minute to secure the victory for the Leopards. Freshman Katelyn Arnold picked up her first win of the season in goal, making one save on the day.

Oct. 5 – Lafayette at No. 10 Albany

L, 5-1

The Leopards jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after junior Kendall Weedling netted a goal in the second minute of the game. The Great Danes never looked back after that scoring five unanswered goals to win the game. Despite allowing five goals, freshman goalie Katelyn Arnold still was able to make eight saves on the day.

Women’s Soccer (4-7-0, 1-3-0)

Oct. 1 – Lafayette vs. Lehigh

L, 2-1

Senior Jaclyn Giordano netted a goal in the 84th minute on assists from juniors Allie Torru and Samantha Potoczak. However, the Leopards late push was not enough to catch their rival Mountain Hawks. Sophomore goalie Katherine Sedillo made four saves on the day.

Oct. 4 – Lafayette vs. Holy Cross

W, 3-2 2OT
The Leopards were able to top the Crusaders in the 103rd minute on a goal by sophomore Kaelin King. Senior Alex Reisinger assisted on the play. Senior Jaclyn Giordano netted the first goal of the game in the 63rd and was able to send the game into overtime by scoring in the 84th minute.

Volleyball (4-13, 1-4)

Oct. 1 – Lafayette vs. NJIT

L, 3-0

The Leopards lost in straight sets by scores of 25-20, 25-20, and 25-19. Senior Danielle Towslee and freshman Elizabeth Walsh with eight led Lafayette in kills apiece. Junior Lauren Pisauro led the way in digs with 14.

Oct. 4 – Lafayette at Bucknell

L, 3-0

Lafayette lost in straight sets for the second game in a row by scores of 25-16, 28-16, and 25-17. Sophomore Jet Manzi led the way in kills with seven, while junior Lauren Pisauro led the way in digs with 16.