Student government report card, Nov. 30

Here is the breakdown for Student Government’s Nov. 30 meeting.

Agenda Posting

The bylaws state that Student Government meetings may only take place if the agenda is posted 12 hours in advance. The agenda was posted on Nov. 29, 19 hours before the meeting.

Quorum

Quorum was met at 7:02 p.m. and the meeting started promptly after, with the items on the agenda beginning at 7:05 p.m.

Agenda Completion

The following items were included on the agenda for this week’s meeting:

Student representatives on the Faculty Committee of Student Affairs delivered a report detailing ongoing discussions among faculty regarding the inclusion of a statement on AI policy into course syllabi and alternatives to course evaluations, such as developing a syllabus repository, in time for fall 2024 course registration.

Student Government discussed and approved another slate of bylaw amendments that sought to open several executive officer positions to the public for special elections – Student Government is looking to hold a special election for the soon-to-be-vacant inclusivity officer position. This is despite the constitutional requirement that “candidates for Executive Board positions must have previously served on the Student Government for at least one semester” with the change pending approval by the Board of Trustees. 

Other amendments discussed and approved include the creation of a new “student observer” position that will allow certain students selected by individual committees the right to attend their meetings. Vice President Thania Hernandez ’25 proposed an amendment that would remove Student Government’s requirement to send meeting minutes to head resident advisors, Greek life presidents and Student Government delegates

Student Government issued a debrief of the Miss Jackson’s replacement survey which, at the time of the meeting, received 1,053 responses. The survey, which closed last Saturday, reported that the majority of students ranked meal swipe availability as very important and that a “Gilbert’s-style” establishment or diner was most favorable. An establishment with vegan and allergen-free options was also stated to also be a top priority when working with Dining Services to select the replacement.

Student Government accomplished everything on this list and all other agenda items in approximately one hour and 15 minutes.

Meeting Minutes

The Nov. 30 meeting minutes contained all appropriate components and were sent to relevant parties by the communications officer-elect on Dec. 6. One representative was marked as both present and tardy. All other components of the minutes appear correct.