Department of Education investigation at Lafayette continues

Three+months+after+the+investigation+was+launched%2C+the+Department+of+Education+has+released+no+updates.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Getty+Images%29+
Three months after the investigation was launched, the Department of Education has released no updates. (Photo courtesy of Getty Images)

The college remains under investigation by the Department of Education after a case was launched under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act on Nov. 16. The case began after an alleged incident of antisemitism occurred on campus.

While no updates have been provided by the college or federal government since November, similar investigations have continued across the country. Since the start of the Israel-Hamas War, 60 schools have come under investigation. Lafayette was one of the first seven schools to be investigated. 

Muhlenberg College, located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, was placed under investigation on Jan. 16. The investigation was opened after “‘discrimination involving shared ancestry’ under Title VI occurred,” per the department’s website.

Prominently, an investigation was officially launched against Harvard University on Feb. 6, according to the department’s website. The Harvard Crimson reported on Jan. 30 that students had filed a complaint with the Department of Education alleging failure to protect students from anti-Palestinian harassment.

It is unclear when Lafayette’s investigation will conclude, as many colleges have had investigations last for years. At Rutgers University, a Title VI investigation has still been in effect since Aug. 27, 2018, according to the Department of Education website.

“These investigations can take a while,” college president Nicole Hurd said. “That being said, we’re optimistic that this investigation will be resolved.”

Hurd declined to comment further on any dialogue between the college and the department.

“We’re prepared to cooperate with whatever the DOE, campus or the administration needs from us,” said Jeff Troxell, director of public safety, in reference to the Department of Education. “We’re prepared to provide whatever assistance we can.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Education declined to comment.