Student government report: Feb. 22

Student Government’s Feb. 22 meeting included a progress update on the Mission and Values statement, information about upcoming elections and committee goalsetting.

Members of Student Government originally planned to vote on the new Mission and Values statement proposed by the administration, but the statement will now need to be revised after it was received poorly by the faculty. Once revisions are made, a vote of approval by Student Government will be one of the last steps toward finalization. 

The next item on the agenda focused on the executive board elections. There are four candidates in total — Virginia Sacotingo ‘25 and Sasha Carter ‘27 are running for inclusivity officer, while Ava Gallia ‘26 and William Gutierrez ‘27 are running for parliamentarian.

A special election candidate forum took place on Tuesday. All four candidates running were able to discuss their platforms and answer questions from The Lafayette and the audience. All students can vote until March 4, with the link to vote on OurCampus

The executive board will soon decide on new first-year representatives following interviews for applicants. The board received no applicants for junior class representatives.

Later in the meeting, all committees were asked to set three goals for the remainder of the spring semester. Student Government President Thania Hernandez ‘25 presented these goals to the Board of Trustees on Saturday to gain support for their upcoming projects.