Editors on their favorite articles of 2023-2024

The Lafayette Editorial Board celebrates another year of the oldest college newspaper in Pennsylvania. (Photo by Donovan Hickey ’27 for The Lafayette)

Madeline Marriott ’24, Editor-in-Chief

We visited every Easton in America by Trebor Maitin ’24 and Elisabeth Seidel ’26

This article, which took Trebor and Lis across the country, is the perfect encapsulation of why I want to be a journalist. When the pair were on their trip and texted me about all the characters they met along the way, I was reminded of what a beautiful thing storytelling can be. They then did the impossible of writing it all down in a way that made me feel like I was along for the ride with them.

Emma Chen ’24, Managing Editor

Women of first fully co-ed class look back 50 years after graduating by Madeline Marriott ’24, Trebor Maitin ’24, Isabella Gaglione ’25 and Kristen Vincent ’26

This is the pinnacle of what journalism can and should be. It is moving, thoughtful, extremely well-reported and informative. I reread it often.

Trebor Maitin ’24, Managing Editor

Bristly brotherhood: Delta Upsilon raises men’s health awareness in annual Movember campaign by Bernadette Russo ’24

My dad, a cancer survivor, has been fundraising for Movember for as long as I can remember. It’s nice to see that students are also passionate about men’s health, which is certainly an under-discussed issue. Bernadette’s writing here was also crisp, making a mountain out of a mustache.

Jacob Moldover ’24, Business Manager

Lafayette Fashion Society on what’s in this holiday season by Trebor Maitin ’24

This is one of the funniest articles I’ve ever read. Nothing makes me happier than the mental image of Trebor on a Zoom call in the newsroom on a cold December night, asking representatives of the Fashion Society, “Ok and so what is a chunky knit?”

Jen Parsons ’26, Design Director

Horsing around at Top Notch Equestrian Centre by Benjamin White ’27

I love how each horse had their own personality and it was so much fun to design in print!

Elisabeth Seidel ’26, Design Director

Does Lafayette have a turnover problem? by Trebor Maitin ’24

A well-researched, well-written piece.

Naomi Shertzer ’25, Design Director

Rivals today, Leopards forever: Football alumni to face off in high school coaching duel by Grace Sanborn ’25

It was fun to have a Leopard rivalry during rivalry week but know that the coaches were united against Lehigh!

Selma O’Malley ’26, News Editor

We visited every Easton in America by Trebor Maitin ’24 and Elisabeth Seidel ’26

It still amazes me that they came up with this. It amazes me more that they went, “Wait, let’s actually make this happen.” It amazes me further that they actually made it happen. It is a privilege to have access to their Google Doc of Easton notes.

Isabella Gaglione ’25, Culture Editor

Meet Bubba, Lafayette’s cuddliest lizard by Bernadette Russo ’24

Bernadette Russo is truly the Queen of Culture – it was difficult to narrow my pick down to just one of her impeccable articles. Also, Bubba the sunbathing lizard is a national treasure.

Bernadette Russo ’24, Culture Editor

Meet Fred the Ghost, State Theatre’s permanent performer by Isabella Gaglione ’25

There is nothing I could love more than one of the best writers (and upcoming editor-in-chief!) on the newspaper writing the silliest story about an Easton ghost.

Charlie Berman ’24, Sports Editor

An awesome article written by the future of the sports section.

Emma Sylvester ’25, Photo Editor

Eleven photos of horses taking up prime real estate in the sports section. No further explanation needed.

Liv Bamford ’24, Assistant Business Manager

Meet Rose, Mojo’s Sweetheart by Bernadette Russo ’24

I think this story really exemplifies Lafayette’s culture; a story about a local town dog that spreads joy to all she meets? Sign me up. 

Andreas Pelekis ’26, Assistant News Editor

‘I don’t think anyone here is happy’: Dining staff details struggles under Parkhurst by Selma O’Malley ’26, Trebor Maitin ’24, Emma Chen ’24 and Madeline Marriott ’24

No, it’s not happy, but this article emphasized what local journalism can do – it can highlight untold stories, give light to lost voices and make an impact on a community. This article was also finished at 4 a.m. by this all-star byline, and it sums up what teamwork can do.

Natalia Ferruggia ’26, Assistant Culture Editor

Residents of College Hill lean on each other by Bernadette Russo ’24

This story reflects what is so beautiful about the culture section: highlighting amazing things that go on in Easton that the campus community may not know about otherwise.

Kristen Vincent ’26, Assistant Culture Editor

Professor Lisa Hiton on writing workshop philosophy by Bernadette Russo ’24

I love learning more about a writer’s process, and this article is an exemplary example of what makes a spotlight on a professor so captivating and immersive.

Eric Ponieman ’24, Assistant Sports Editor

Football routs Lehigh, clinches first Patriot League title since 2013 by Charlie Berman ’24 and Madeline Marriott ’24

Roll Pards!

Grace Sanborn ’25, Assistant Sports Editor

Cheese club? You better brie-lieve it! by Natalia Ferruggia ’26

Cheese puns? Yes cheese!

Makenna McCall ’27, Staff Writer (incoming news editor)

Restaurant Review: Takkii Ramen, homely despite robots by Trebor Maitin ’24 and Elisabeth Seidel ’26

Never have I been simultaneously excited and scared for the future of downtown Easton. I agree with Trebor and Lis that the ramen makes the possible robot uprising worth it.

Madeline Convy ’27, Staff Writer (incoming assistant news editor)

A long article that I wish was longer. I loved learning a little more about Lafayette’s history while getting a look into the lives of the incredible women who paved the way.

Clara Witmer ’27, Staff Writer (incoming assistant news editor)

Henry Kissinger’s Lafayette connections by Madeline Marriott ’24

Always cool to see international news in The Lafayette, even better if it’s about someone as controversial as Henry Kissinger.

William Gutiérrez ’27, Staff Writer (incoming assistant culture editor)

The long road to Farinon College Center by Isabella Gaglione ’25

This article gives me the vibes of being in the middle of class, bored and clicking through Wikipedia when you randomly encounter the most interesting, niche topic and begin reading vociferously. I appreciate the Lafayette history angle, as well as the deep research that went into the article.

Benjamin White ’27, Staff Writer (incoming assistant sports editor)

The puns were impeccable. Justice for Cheese Club.

Miley Hamilton ’27, Page Designer (incoming assistant design director)

The article was such a sweet story, and now I recognize Rose when I go to Mojo, and it always makes me happy to see her.